Help Topics: Ordering Prescriptions
HOW TO ORDER NEW PRESCRIPTIONS
Mail order pharmacy service works best with longer-term maintenance medications. For short-term medications, we suggest you fill your prescription at a local retail pharmacy. Use our Locate a Pharmacy tool to find a pharmacy.
Here is the simple, two (2) step ordering process:
- When starting a new maintenance medication, ask for two prescriptions. Have one filled right away at a retail pharmacy.
- Then, when you are sure you will continue taking the new medication, mail the second prescription to OptumRx, along with your copayment and order form.
Always ask your doctor to prescribe the maximum number of days' supply your health plan allows, plus refills. Usually, this is a 90-day supply with three refills. Prescriptions for controlled substances have different rules. Ask your doctor for details.
If you are currently taking a maintenance medication, have your doctor give you a new prescription. Then click the Fill New Prescription link to get started.
If you don't want to use the online process, you can contact Customer Service.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET MY MEDICATION?
Once OptumRx receives your complete order for a new prescription, your medications should arrive within ten business days. Completed refill orders should arrive to your home in about seven business days. If we need to contact you or your doctor to get more information, it may take longer. First time fills of new or transferred prescriptions should arrive within 10 business days. It may take up to 72 hours for your order to display online.
WHEN CAN I REFILL MY MEDICATION?
You can easily refill your OptumRx prescription on the website by My Medicine Cabinet link and viewing your refill information.
HOW DO I REFILL MY MEDICATION?
There are several easy ways to order prescription refills. Please order at least 21 days before you need your medicine
- Online – Go to My Medicine Cabinet and have copayments charged to a credit card.
- By Mail – All orders are mailed with a reorder form. Just check the medications you want to refill and mail the form back to our mail order pharmacy, along with a check or your credit card information. Do not send cash in the mail.
- By Phone – Our friendly Customer Service Advocates are available by phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
WHY CAN’T I FIND MY SPECIALTY PHARMACY MEDICATIONS TO REFILL ONLINE?
At this time, the OptumRx.com member website does not offer our Specialty Pharmacy customers the ability to refill their medications online. We are working to add this functionality to our website in the near future—please keep checking back to start taking advantage of this new feature!
WHAT IS A COVERED DRUG?
A covered drug is a drug that is covered, or paid for, by your health insurance or prescription drug coverage. It is in your prescription drug list. It may be a brand-name product or a generic drug. It is important to know if your prescription is covered by your health insurance plan. Use the Online prescription drug list (drug list) tool to check.
HOW TO ORDER NON-PRESCRIPTION PRODUCTS
To order non-prescription products, like vitamins or pain relievers, click on the Health Store tab, and you'll be brought to our OptumRx Health Store site where you can order a variety of over-the-counter products.