As used in this Policy, terms such as "we," "us," "our," and "Company" refer to current and future affiliated entities of UnitedHealth Group.
- What Information We Collect.
- How We Use Personal Information.
- How We Share Personal Information.
- How to Manage Your Information.
- How We Protect Information.
- How to Learn About Health and Financial Privacy Practices.
- Specific Product Privacy Practices.
- Additional Rights for California Residents.
- How to Contact Us.
When you use Online Services, you may also provide certain information directly to us, including when you allow us to obtain information about you from other sources.
We may also obtain automatically-collected information through the Online Services. See Cookies and Tracking for more information. Our mobile applications may also collect information about your mobile device, such as its unique device identifier and precise geolocation information.
You may limit the Information you provide or make available to us; however, that may limit your ability to access or use certain Online Services functions. It may also limit your ability to request, or for us to provide further details about, certain services or information.
Our Online Services operate on computer servers in the United States; therefore any Information you provide will be transferred to and processed by a computer server located within the United States.
We may use the Information for a number of purposes such as:
- To respond to an e-mail or particular request from you.
- To communicate with you.
- To provide you with content through our Online Services or other services that we may offer.
- To process an application for a product or service as requested by you.
- To authenticate you on any portion of our Online Services and with vendors acting on our behalf.
- To administer surveys and promotions.
- To personalize your experience with us.
- To provide you with informational or promotional offers, as permitted by law, that we believe may be useful to you, such as information about products or services provided by us or other businesses.
- To perform analytics and to improve our products, general services, Online Services, and advertising.
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations, and legal process.
- To protect someone's health, safety, or welfare.
- To keep a record of our transactions and communications.
- As otherwise necessary or useful for us to conduct our business, so long as such use is permitted by law or for any other purpose with your consent.
We may use Information to contact you through any contact information you provide through our Online Services or any other services we offer, including any e-mail address, telephone number, cell phone number, or fax number. To learn more about our communications practices, please visit our Consumer Communications NoticeOpens in a new window or tab.
We may, when permitted, combine your Information with other information, whether online or offline, maintained or available to us from you or from other sources, such as from our vendors, and we may use and disclose combined data for the purpose described in this Section or for internal business purposes. We may also aggregate and/or de-identify your Information. We may, when permitted, use and disclose de-identified and aggregated data for any purpose, which may include, without limitation, disclosures to third parties for analytics purposes such as evaluating the Online Services and providing additional benefits, programs, and services.
We will only share your Information with third parties as outlined in this Policy and as otherwise permitted by law or as permitted with your consent.
We may share Information if all or part of the Company is sold, merged, dissolved, acquired, or disbanded to any extent, or in connection with steps that may need to be taken in anticipation of such events.
We may share Information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or to comply with law or regulation. We may cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting activities that are illegal, violate our rules, or may be harmful to other visitors.
We may also share Information within the Company, including among affiliates, or with our parent company, or subsidiaries.
We may also share Information with other third party companies that we have a business relationship with or hire to perform services on our behalf. For example, we may hire a company to help us send and manage e-mail, and we might provide that company with your e-mail address and certain other information in order for them to send you an e-mail message on our behalf. Similarly, we may hire companies to host or operate some of our Online Services and related computers and software applications.
Posting Messages, Comments, and Content
Our Online Services may have collaboration areas, including but not limited to "blogs," "bulletin boards," "leader boards," and "health games," that permit users to have collaborative discussions and/or share information. Some of our Online Services may permit you to select a display name or image that will be a "nickname" on the Online Service. Please note, any information you submit or post to these collaboration areas, including your display name or image, may be visible by other users of the Online Service, and such users may share them with others. Therefore, please be thoughtful in what you write and understand that this information may become public.
How to Manage Your Information
Our Online Services may permit you to view your profile, if applicable, and access related Information about you and to request changes to, or deletion of, such Information. If this function is available, you may have access to a page on the Online Services through which you may review your profile, if applicable, and related Information about you, and you may have options to modify or delete or such Information. Please remember, however, if we have already disclosed some of this Information to third parties, we may not have access to that disclosed information and may not be able to force the deletion or modification of any information by the third parties to whom we have made those disclosures.
We may communicate, electronically or via telephone with you about existing benefits, programs, products, services, or tools and/or general health information. We may communicate protected health information with you via unencrypted methods. You acknowledge and accept that communications may be sent unencrypted and there is some risk of disclosure or interception of the contents of these communications. Our Consumer Communications NoticeOpens in a new window or tab outlines how we may communicate with you. If you need additional assistance in opting-out of a communication, please Contact Us for assistance. Please be aware that opt-outs may not apply to certain types of communications, such as account status, Online Services updates, or other communications.
The Company may use various technologies, including cookies, tokens, tags, web logs, web beacons, scripts, and web server logs to gather automatically-collected information and may aggregate this information from our Online Services visitors or to enable certain features of our Online Services. This information may include demographic data, technical information about the technology (e.g., phone, computer) used to connect to the Online Services, web browser information, your IP address, and browsing behavior such as pages visited and how often they are visited ("Activity Information"). We may also use third party analytics companies to provide these services.
Activity Information is captured using various technologies and may include cookies. "Cookies" are small text files that may be placed on your computer when you visit an Online Service or click on a URL. Cookies may include "single-session cookies" which generally record information during only a single visit to a website and then are erased, and "persistent" cookies which are generally stored on a computer unless or until they are deleted or are set to expire. You may disable cookies and similar items by adjusting your browser preferences at any time; however, this may limit your ability to take advantage of all the features on our Online Services. In addition, you may also have additional means to manage the collection of Activity Information by:
- Managing the use of "flash" technologies with the Flash management tools available at Adobe’s website;
- Visiting the Adobe Digital Marketing Suite to "Opt-Out" of of data aggregation and analysis;
- Clicking on the available "Opt-Out" link at the bottom of the applicable home web page;
- Visiting Google to "Opt-Out" of display advertising or customize Google display network ads; and/or
- Clicking on the Rakanto "Opt-Out" link.
Please note that we do not currently respond to web browser "Do Not Track" signals that provide a method to opt-out of the collection of information about online activities over time and across third party websites or online services because, among other reasons, there is no common definition of such signals and no industry-accepted standards for how such signals should be interpreted.
We gather Activity Information about you in order to improve the quality of our services, such as the best method and time to contact you. Without limiting the other ways in which we may use Information as described herein, we may otherwise use and disclose your Activity Information unless restricted by this Policy or by law. Some examples of the ways we use your Activity Information include:
- Customizing your experiences, including managing and recording your preferences;
- Authenticating your account information;
- Marketing, product development, and research purposes;
- Tracking resources and data accessed on the Online Services;
- Developing reports regarding Online Service usage, activity, and statistics;
- Assisting users experiencing problems with our services;
- Updating and servicing our Online Services;
- Enabling certain functions and tools on the Online Services; and
- Tracking paths of visitors to the Online Services and within the Online Services.
As described above, we may use tracking technologies that allow us recognize your device when you return to our Online Services within a period of time, as determined by us, and to support automatic login to your Online Services. To maintain your privacy, you should affirmatively log out of your account prior to your session ending (whether you end your session or we end your session, for example if our Online Services has "timed out" – i.e. we have ended your session automatically after a period of inactivity as determined by us in our sole discretion). Unless you affirmatively log out of your account, you may be automatically logged back in the next time you, or any user of your devices visits the Online Services.
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the information that you provide on our Online Services. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that is being collected, used and stored. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our Online Services, nor can we guarantee the security of the information you transmit to us over the Internet, including your use of e-mail. We are not liable for the illegal acts of third parties such as criminal hackers.
It is your responsibility to safeguard the devices you use to access our Online Services (such as laptops, tablets and mobile devices), and to use appropriate security settings on those devices. If those devices are lost, stolen or misplaced, others may be able to access your account and your personal information using those devices. If you log into the Online Services using a public computer or device, or the computer or device of another person, you should affirmatively log out of your account (i) prior to ending your session, or (ii) if you will be inactive on the Online Services for more than a few minutes otherwise, the next user of that computer or device may be able to access your account and the Information in your account if your session has not ended.
You agree that we are not responsible for any harm that may result from someone accessing your account or personal information on a lost, stolen or misplaced device or on a public computer or kiosk where you do not for any reason take the necessary steps to log out of your account prior to ending a session on such public computer or kiosk.
We may offer mobile apps that enable us to communicate with you through push notifications. Where mobile apps are offered, you may be able to turn off push notifications in your mobile phone settings. You may also be able to control preview settings in your e-mail applications.
We retain Information for as long as necessary for the purpose for which it is collected, subject to a longer period if the information is relevant to a legal challenge.
We will not intentionally collect any personal information (as that term is defined in the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13 through our Online Services without receiving parental consent. If you think that we have collected such personal information from a child under the age of 13 through our Online Services, please Contact Us immediately.
SSN Protection Policy
It is our policy to protect the confidentiality of Social Security numbers ("SSNs") that we receive or collect in the course of business. We secure the confidentiality of SSNs through various means, including physical, technical, and administrative safeguards that are designed to protect against unauthorized access. It is our policy to limit access to SSNs to that which is lawful, and to prohibit unlawful disclosure of SSNs.
How to Learn About Health and Financial Privacy Practices
Some of our products and services are regulated by certain laws, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. To learn more about our regulated practices, read our Product Privacy Notices available in the Specific Product Privacy Practices section of this Policy.
Individual Health Record Users
You may have access to your Individual Health Record (IHR) via this site. The IHR is an electronic health data application that helps users collect, manage, and share health information, health history, and current health status. IHR users may utilize the IHR platform to import their health information from several sources, including but not limited to their healthcare providers, health plans, and medical devices. This health information is considered “IHR Data.”
IHR Data might include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Name and contact information, such as address, phone number, or email address
- Medical history, conditions, treatments, medications, lab results, and care team
- Medical claims, health plan account numbers, and insurance information
- Weight, activity logs, and other health statistics collected from medical devices and smartphones
- Demographic information, such as your age and gender
UnitedHealthcare and/or its service providers may use your IHR Data and/or Information to operate and manage the IHR platform, software, and website, and as otherwise provided in this Policy.
The content provided in your IHR is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in your IHR.
Additional Rights for California Residents
California Privacy Rights
California law permits our customers who are California residents to request certain information regarding the disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
If we have disclosed any personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes, we will provide a list of the categories of personal information, along with the names and addresses of these third parties to you at your request. To make such a request, write us at the postal or e-mail address found in the Contact Us section of this Policy.
This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the specified e-mail or postal address. You should put "California Privacy Rights" in the e-mail subject line and in the body of your request. You must provide us with specific information regarding yourself so that we can accurately respond to the request.
California Minors Under 18
If you are a California resident under the age of 18 and are a registered user of our Online Services, you may request that we remove from our Online Services any content you post to our Online Services that can be accessed by any other user (whether registered or not). Please note that any content that is removed from visibility on our Online Services may still remain on our servers and in our systems. To request removal of content under this provision, please write or e-mail us at the postal or e-mail address found in the Contact Us section of this Policy. When you write us, provide us with a description of the content and the location of the content on our Online Services, and any other information we may require in order to consider your request. Please note that removal of content under this provision does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on the Online Services by you.
We may change this Policy at any time. If we do so, such change will appear on this page. We will also provide notice and choices to you, on this website and in other appropriate locations, based on the scope and extent of changes. You may always visit this Policy to learn of any updates. Your continued access to or use of the Online Services constitutes your consent to these changes to this Policy.
Contact us regarding this Policy or our related privacy practices. If you believe we or any company associated with us has misused your information, please contact us immediately.
For Community Plans
November 4, 2020
Specific Product Privacy Practices
The following Product Privacy Notices supplement this Policy and explain specific privacy practices with respect to certain products and services that you may use, including access to more information about health or financial privacy practices.
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices: Read our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices to learn more about our privacy practices regarding health and medical information under HIPAA.
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices: Read our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices to learn more about our privacy practices regarding health and medical information under HIPAA.
- Member Services: In the event that you need Member Services, please call the Member Services phone number of your insurance card, call your EAP phone number, or contact your Human Resources Department.
- Collection of PHI: Some of the functions in the website permit users to submit Protected Health Information ("PHI"). If you opt-in to use such features, your PHI will be processed in accordance with the applicable HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices which has been set forth by your health plan. You do not have to provide us with PHI if you do not want to; however, that may limit your ability to use certain functions of the website or to request certain services or information.
- Use and Disclosure: We will obtain your opt-in prior to using or disclosing your Protected Health Information (PHI) that has been collected on the website for another purpose that has not been presented in this Policy. Prior to disclosing your PHI for purposes not described in this Policy, we will seek your opt-in, unless such a disclosure is required for health care operations, treatment, payment, internal quality management activities, or legal requirements.
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices: United Behavioral Health administers mental health and substance abuse benefits and Employee Assistance Programs for a variety of health plans. Those health plans are required under HIPAA to provide members with a HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices that describes their privacy practices regarding health and medical information. When administering your mental health and substance abuse benefits and Employee Assistance Programs, United Behavioral Health follows the privacy practices set forth in your health plan's HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices. Please contact your plan for a copy of its HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
If you are enrolled in an insured plan offered by US Behavioral Health Plan, California ("USBHPC"), its HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices applies to you and your dependents."
- Access, Supplement, Amendment, and Deletion: You may access, supplement, or amend your Information via the “My Profile” page. To request that your Information be removed, use the Technical Support form in the "Help" area of the website. There are no limitations on amendments and deletions of your Information. Please note that deleting your Information may affect your access and use of the website.
- Contact Us: Our Customer Support Center provides information about how you can connect with our customer service team over the phone or online. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time.
- Financial Privacy Rule Notice: Read our Financial Notice of Privacy Practices as it applies to Optum Bank as a regulated financial institution and OptumHealth Financial Services.
HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices: Read our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices to learn more about our privacy practices regarding health and medical information under HIPAA.
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for Employers and Individual Plans
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for Community Plan
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical (Health Insurance Marketplace Individual Plans)
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical (UnitedHealthcare Individual Exchange Plans)
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Dental
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Vision
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for AARP Medicare Plans
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for UnitedHealthcare Medicare Plans
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for UnitedHealthcare Retiree Plans
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for AARP Medicare Plans (for members only)
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for UnitedHealthcare Medicare Plans (for members only)
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for Medica Medicare Plans (for members only)
- HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices – Medical for Preferred Care Partners Medicare Plans (for members only)
- Notificación sobre las Prácticas de Privacidad de la HIPAA - Información médica
- Notificación sobre las Prácticas de Privacidad de la HIPAA - Información médica para el Plan comunitario
- Notificación sobre las Prácticas de Privacidad de la HIPAA - Información médica (planes individuales del Mercado de seguros de salud)
- Notificación sobre las Prácticas de Privacidad de la HIPAA - Información Médica (Planes Individuales del Mercado de Seguros de Salud de UnitedHealthcare)
- Notificación sobre las Prácticas de Privacidad de la HIPAA - Información de odontología
Social Media Disclaimer
Are you using social media? So are we! We encourage you to read, share, follow us and provide commentary on Facebook®, Twitter®, Pinterest®, Instagram® and other social media sites (“Social Media Site”). Before you post, please make sure you read our social media disclaimer:
We are under no obligation to screen or monitor your posts or any other user content; however, we reserve the right to monitor participation to ensure that you stay on topic, are courteous and avoid making offensive comments. Your posts and user content must adhere to the following requirements and cannot:
- Contain any third party material including logos, drawings, tattoos, photographs, pictures, sculptures, paintings and other images or works of art, phrases, trademarks, trade secrets or other items without explicit prior written permission to use such materials
- Contain sexually explicit, graphic, gratuitous or unnecessarily violent content or defamatory or derogatory content against any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, sexual orientation, professional or age group or contain any pornographic or nude material
- Contain any private information about yourself or any other individual, including without limitation, information related to the health of the individual, financial information about the individual or any identification or account numbers related to the individual, with or without their permission or consent
- Contain any software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment
- Contain any advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes", or promote illegal activity and/or illegal contests, sweepstakes, gambling, including any online casino, sports books, bingo, poker or any other form of solicitation
We reserve the right to edit comments for content, remove off-topic contributions, delete offensive comments or remarks, block offensive contributors and delete actual or suspected spam content from any Social Media Site. Please be aware that once you post something online, there is the potential for numerous individuals to read your words, even years from now. Therefore, we suggest that you exercise caution when posting on any Social Media Sites and that you not disclose Information like your location, medical record number, personal medical information, financial information, etc. We are not responsible for the content of any comments or responses posted by others to any website or Social Media Site we manage or monitor. We do not control the placement of any marketing or advertising displayed on our pages by social media or third party organizations.
Please remember that information posted on any of our social media profiles or platforms is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice and should not replace a consultation with your health care or financial professional. Always consult an appropriate health care or financial professional for your specific needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or your local emergency number. Some treatments mentioned on social media formats may not be covered by your health plan. Please refer to your benefit plan documents for information about coverage.
We reserve the right to respond to any post or user content and may occasionally privately request your contact information to assist offline with your consent by routing the matter to the appropriate persons or department for further handling. Any further questions about your account, claims or benefits or request for additional information can be addressed by visiting your member website or calling the toll-free member phone number on the back of your health plan ID or other membership card.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.